Engaging with research organisations and academic institutions that focus on education, skills, and labour markets is critical to building capability
Addressing the challenge of skilling millions of new entrants of the working age is crucial in India's economy, which is undergoing structural, demographic, and technological shifts. As the nature of work changes, it is essential to make new entrants employable and skilled, which is a big challenge. By 2024, around 70 million new individuals within the working age bracket, i.e., 15-59 years, are expected to enter India's labour force. The estimated total workforce will then be around 405 million people. The recently released Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) annual report, 2022-23, reveals that this will include 59 million youth aged between 15-30 years. Hence, strategies for re-skilling, up-skilling, and recognising informally acquired skills of the current workforce must be reinforced.
India is taking unique initiatives to leverage its demographic potential into a dividend that will fuel the country's growth. Simultaneously, ageing populations in several developed countries provide opportunities for skilled individuals' migration from India to benefit both the host and destination countries. According to an analysis, India's labour force above 30 years of age is 262 million people. Out of this, 259 million are currently employed and need to be future-ready. The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) was established as a public-private partnership (PPP) to encourage private sector participation in India's skill development sector to drive re-skilling and up-skilling initiatives. This will help prepare the workforce for new technologies and the future of work.
Three major challenges in skill development
Firstly, there should be collaboration between industry and the private sector. This is an essential strategic pillar for India, as it is necessary to create avenues for private-sector engagement. Skill development faces several forms of market failures, including information asymmetries. A skilled person knows their skills, but a potential employer does not. If employers had all the information, they would be willing to pay more for a skilled person. Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is an intervention to address information asymmetry.
There is a vast segment of informal workers in India, many of whom possess skills that have not been formally recognised. RPL interventions are critical in this scenario, as holding a formal certification can improve an individual's bargaining power. Some analysis reveals that the monthly incomes of RPL-certified individuals were on average 19% higher than those who had not been RPL-certified. An average increase of 25% in income after certification was reported.
Another market failure in skill development is externalities. When a firm spends resources on developing the skills of an employee, he or she can quit and join another firm, thus benefiting the latter firm and not the firm that incurred the training cost. Government intervention is necessary where there are such market failures. Workers are incentivised to invest in their general skill training through apprenticeships or self-paid training, as they can benefit from higher salaries when they switch jobs. As such, firms may be willing to spend on developing specific skills of employees. There are various skill development models, including government-funded programs that fully or partially subsidize training/apprenticeships, market-led, market-led, and industry-led/on-the-job training.
Collaboration with industry is fundamental to ensure the relevance and quality of skills training and for building the institutional structures required to achieve the desired outcomes. Sector Skill Councils (SSCs) were incubated by the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to foster industry connections and develop an industry-relevant course and curriculum.
Secondly, there should be encouragement for international mobility. India is committed to becoming the "skill capital" of the world, and the India International Skill Centre (IISC) programme is evidence of this. A new, market-driven IISC network has been proposed to counsel and guide potential emigrants, focusing on skills tests, up-skilling, language, and pre-departure orientation. Furthermore, the governments of India and Japan are cooperating to implement Japan's Technical Intern Training Programme (TITP), an on-the-job training scheme providing three to five years of internship opportunities for foreign nationals in Japan, with NSDC as the implementing organisation.
Technical collaborations have been undertaken with countries such as the UK, Australia, and the UAE for benchmarking and mutual recognition of standards. Government-to-government and B2B partnerships are also being developed for new markets such as those in Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and East Asia to increase the mobility of blue and white-collar Indian workers. Thirdly, improving women's participation in the labour force is a significant challenge in India. Out of the country’s total labour force of 395.2 million, only 91.6 million are women. To address this issue, skilling initiatives can be implemented along with a wider push towards gender sensitisation, creating economic opportunities, and providing social support.
We can use residential facilities for women trainees and embed mentoring and coaching in skills programs to improve their participation. Local workshops can also be organised to provide social support. To make employment more attractive to women, they can be prepared for forms of work such as the gig economy, which has more flexible work models. This is especially relevant because 229.2 million women out of the 301.5 million who are not in the labour force report their status as "attending domestic duties."
Fortunately, our progress in creating access to skill development for women in the beauty- wellness and health sectors has been positive. More than 60% of the candidates trained under PMKVY are women. Several training providers focus exclusively on women and promote skill training in towns and rural areas. Partnerships with industries to support women-centric projects in non-traditional trades have also been explored. Engaging with research organisations, academic institutions, think tanks, and multilateral institutions that focus on education, skills, and labour markets is critical to building new initiatives, collaborations, and institutional knowledge and capability.
- Artificial Intelligence 4
- News & Events 6
- Tally 1
- Java 1
- Advanced python
- Core Python 1
- Digital Marketing 4
- core Java 1
- Cyber Security
- Data Science 2
- AWS 4
- Python 1
- Azure 3
- Microsoft Office 2
- Data Structures & Algorithms 1
- Cyber Security 2
- C Programming 3
- Miscrosoft Office 5
- Blockchain 2
- Adobe Photoshop 4
- Cruise Ship 1
- What is the significance of digital marketing to building a brand? 06-04-2023
- The Power of generative adversarial networks (GANs) 11-10-2023
- Difference between Manual vs Computerized Accounts 26-10-2023
- Concept of Object-Oriented Programming in java with Examples - oops 26-10-2023
- Importance of Data Visualization in Data Science 27-10-2023
- Introduction to Exception handling in java and types of Exceptions 01-11-2023
- Difference between Packages and Modules in python 01-11-2023
- Workers in India need to be upskilled, reskilled in AI, automation 02-11-2023
- Challenges in equipping job seekers with skills 02-11-2023
- Control Structures in Python with examples. Condition Statements, loop and Control Flow Statements 04-11-2023
- Music can help learners improve their skills. 08-11-2023
- Data Structures And Algorithms In Python - Basic To Advanced Level 18-11-2023
- An Introduction to nlp Natural Language Processing 22-11-2023
- Why Internship is Important for Students after Studies 23-11-2023
- The Impact of Predictive Analytics in Healthcare 30-11-2023
- Guidelines for Protecting Removable Media 02-12-2023
- What are Social Engineering Attacks? Common Techniques Used in Social Engineering Attacks 04-12-2023
- Importance of Search Engine Optimization and its Techniques 06-12-2023
- Understanding AWS Buckets: The Essential Guide to Cloud Storage 11-12-2023
- What is sem marketing? search engine marketing 12-12-2023
- What is SMM in Digital Marketing? Social Media Marketing 13-12-2023
- A Comprehensive Guide to Ensuring Security with Amazon EC2 15-12-2023
- Understanding Azure Storage Services - A Comprehensive Overview 19-12-2023
- Mastering Azure App Services - Ultimate Toolkit for Success in Your Azure Course in Vizag 21-12-2023
- An In-depth Exploration of Arrays in C 27-12-2023
- A Journey into AI Projects and Their Transformative Influence on the Contemporary World 27-12-2023
- Facebook Ads Webinar 27-12-2023
- pricing models, cost efficiency and resource optimization techniques of Azure App Services 28-12-2023
- Navigating the Cloud - An In-Depth Amazon VPC Overview 29-12-2023
- Demystifying Cloud Deployment Models: Choosing the Right Strategy for Your Business 30-12-2023
- A Comprehensive Guide to Basic Excel Formulas 01-01-2024
- Unleashing the Power of Excel Search Functions Stream Data Analysis 02-01-2024
- Mastering Validations in Microsoft Excel: A Comprehensive Guide 03-01-2024
- Mastering Structures in C: Understanding, Implementation, and Best Practices 04-01-2024
- C Union and benefits of using C unions in programming 05-01-2024
- What are Microsoft Word Macros and How to Use Them? 08-01-2024
- Making Your Document Look Professional in ms word - Page Layout, Margins, Orientation and Size 10-01-2024
- The Rise of blockchain Projects: Unveiling the Innovations of Shaping Digital Landscape 11-01-2024
- Comprehensive Guide of Neural Network Architectures 11-01-2024
- The Future is Here: How Blockchain Technology is Reshaping Industries and Redefining Trust 12-01-2024
- powerpoint presentation-Page Transitions: Enhancing Navigation and User Experience 17-01-2024
- Exploring the Power of Multimedia in PowerPoint Presentations 18-01-2024
- Mastering Photoshop Layers: A Comprehensive Guide to Professional Results 19-01-2024
- Enhance Your Photoshop Skills with Expert Selection Techniques 20-01-2024
- Life and Work on a Cruise Ship - What to Expect? 22-01-2024
- Mastering Photoshop Masks: A Step-by-Step Guide to Enhance Your Photo Editing Skills 23-01-2024
- Enhance Your Digital Artistry with the Top Photoshop Brushes for Every Style and Project 27-01-2024
- The reason behind the success of Milan 2024 26-02-2024